The Drakensberg Mountain range is the country’s grandest and has its highest point, where it forms the border between KwaZulu Natal and Lesotho. The name literally means ‘Dragon’, derived from the breath-taking high jagged basalt cliffs bearing a similarity to the back of a dragon. The Zulu people call it the ‘Ukhahlamba’, (Barrier of Spears).
- Sani Pass
- Drakensberg Mountains
Price per person – AUD
|1 Jan to 31 Oct 2017||AUD 600 – (ZAR 5,960)||AUD 820 – (ZAR 8,160)|
|01 Nov 2017 to 31 Oct 2018||AUD 670 – (ZAR 6,680)||AUD 930 – (ZAR 9,280)|
Number of Days: 2
- Price is valid until 31 October 2018. If travelling after this date please contact us for revised prices.
- Departs daily at 9:00am subject to availability
- Departing Durban, Uhmhlanga and King Shaka airport
- Departure point: All hotels, and most guesthouses in Durban an Umhlanga
- Accommodation may be different from properties listed due to availability but will be of a similar standard.
- Minimum of 2 people on tour.
- A valid passport is required, as we enter Lesotho. Ensure you have a multi entry visa into South Africa if you need a visa to enter into South Africa. Visitor from some countries may need a pre-arranged Visa to enter Lesotho. A visa can be arranged in Durban the same day
- 1 night at Moorcroft Manor or similar
- Dinner, Breakfast and Lunch on the second day
- Guided tour in our luxury 8 seater microbus
- 4 x 4 drive up the Sani Pass.
- Sightseeing as per the itinerary
- Lunch on first day
- Travel Insurance.
- Flights and airport taxes
- Pre and post tour accommodation (maybe required depending upon arrival and departure flight times)
- All drinks, tips, curios & items of a personal nature
Day 1: Durban – Drakensberg Mountains – Sani Pass
You are collected at around 09h00 for your tour. Drive inland to Pietermaritzburg, the capital of KwaZulu-Natal, for a brief city tour. Stop at the railway station where Mahatma Gandhi was thrown off the train because of the colour of his skin, and see the waiting room where, in the silence of the night, he formulated his philosophy of passive resistance. Visit the Church of the Vow that was built as a result of the Battle of Blood River between the Voortrekkers and the Zulus in 1838. Continue to Howick where we visit the 100m high Falls, and stop at the monument erected on the spot where Nelson Mandela was arrested in 1961.Continue through an area of gentle pastoral beauty called the Natal Midlands. We pass through grassy plains scattered with villages and lush farmlands where plump cattle and thoroughbred horses graze. Then further through Underberg, a picturesque little village situated in the foothills of the majestic Drakensberg Mountains. Our hotel is in the lap of the mountain with peaks towering up to 3400m above sea level. The afternoon is at your leisure to participate in some of the organised hikes into the mountain or explore the area on your own. Dinner and overnight are at Moorcroft Manor or similar.(Dinner)
Day 2: Sani Pass – Lesotho – Durban
After breakfast we set off to Sani Pass, named after the primitive people who lived in the area millennia ago, on a four-wheel drive with hair raising bends and breath-taking views to the top of the mountain. Lunch is served at the top in the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho some 3000m above sea level. We return early afternoon, change vehicles and drive back to Durban for drop off. (Breakfast & lunch)
NOTE: Please take your passport along as we enter Lesotho.
What to bring:
Binoculars, bird book, camera, small torch, sunscreen.
NOTE: A valid passport is required, as we enter Lesotho. Ensure you have a multi entry visa into South Africa if you need a visa to enter into South Africa. Visitor from some countries may need a pre-arranged Visa to enter Lesotho. A visa can be arranged in Durban the same day
What to wear:
Well worn-in clothes and shoes, a warm jacket and spare long pants from May to September, warm clothes as well as a raincoat.
Please fill out the below form and we will be in touch shortly.
We have a range of Namibia tours & safaris available which can be customised with more or less nights as well as activities.